Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hello from Tucson

2010 is a year of firsts for me. First time to write seriously and steadily after years of "I'd like to write someday" and "Sheesh, I could write something better than that," I called my own bluff. I spent half of 2008 and all of 2009 researching, taking classes and workshops, developing characters and plotting. Now I am writing. I let the books bubble and what came to surface is a historical romance set in Maine in 1864. I chose Maine because I started this process in August in Arizona, and Maine was as far away as I get if only in imagination and not in the flesh. I liked going to the Maine in my mind to escape the heat.

After fighting against all the advice, I succumbed and treat the writing as a part-time job. I write every day, Mon-Fri, take weekends off, and write first thing in the morning. I belong the the local chapter of the Romance Writers Association and love to learn from the other members. I do belong to a critique group, but have been more of a critic than a contributor because my story isn't finished enough to share.

I am the official grammar and spelling police in our group due to my experience as professional editor and proofreader, so that is my contribution until the manuscript is done.

I work as a registered nurse in the surgical care line, usually in the recovery room, and I would never, under any circumstances, consider for five seconds writing a story set in a hospital. I write to get away from that, but I'm more than willing to answer any questions anyone may have that I am able to that fall in the area of wounds, sickness, or healing.

I love reading historical fiction, and three of the four of my works in progess are historical fiction. The other is a young adult fantasy.

Although I am not yet published and have never blogged, I was allowed to join this group. I hope my offerings are of value. I enjoy reading what the others have written so far and look forward to getting to know you all better.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome, and I look forward to reading more of what you have to say!

Post a Comment

 

Back to TOP

Glamour Bomb Templates